Fly Fishing on the
Yakima River in a One Man Boat
Fly fishing the Yakima River in a pontoon boat or Watermaster is a fun, safe, and rewarding adventure. The
hard part is learning how to get started! In our on the water
"floating" class you will learn where, how, when, and why you should be
fishing the Yakima River in a one man boat. Our goal is to give you
the knowledge and confidence to have a safe and productive fishing career in
your one man boat!
How Does the Pontoon Boat
Fishing Class Work?
This course meets mid morning and the first thing you will cover is what
should be in and on your boat and the instructor will give everyone's boat a
safety check. This is also the lecture time when the instructor
discusses what sections, river flows, and times of year are safe for
floating. This part of the class is very important. Each student
will need his/her own boat or they can rent a boat by scheduling it in
advance. Everyone should bring their own PFD.
After a morning briefing and a quick rundown on what flies are working that
day the group can head for the boat launch!
The course will do a float and the instructor will teach oarsmanship, river
navigation, and fishing. There will be a series of stops along the way
where the group will rendezvous together for the next lesson!
- Pontoon boat river safety
- General rowing and navigation
- Evasive rowing
- Anchoring (when not to anchor!)
- Fishing Strategies for floating
- Fishing Strategies for wade fishing
- What sections are safe vs. dangerous
- What river flows are safe
- What type of water should I look for?
- Unexpected Dangers, whirlpools, sweepers, etc.
- Rough launches and takeouts.
- Ask Anything - we will answer tough questions and demonstrate techniques
you are curious about.
Reservations and Cost
- 1 Day Course
$99 per person.
Fly Fishing Class Schedule
What if I Don't Have My
Many of our students either borrow or rent boats for this course. Talk
to our office staff upon reservation and they can discuss rental details
with you. The great part about renting is that if you decide to buy a
boat from us a later date, the rental fee can be applied towards the
How Do We Shuttle?
The group will help each other shuttle so there is no additional cost i.e.
everyone launches boats, drives to the takeout, leaves their rigs at the
exit launch, and one person drives everyone back to the starting point.
Super easy, and your instructor will coordinate this.
- 6 Hour Class (give or take)
- Includes a float in the Yakima Canyon
- Some real fishing time mixed within the on the water lessons
- Maximum of 6 per class
- Students must provide their own boat (or RSVP a rental boat from Red's)
Above is Red's guide and pontoon boat class instructor Mike Milligan
bringing in a Yakima River Rainbow while fishing the famous Yakima Canyon in
his Watermaster. Although we call this a "pontoon" boat class, our
instructors prefer a Watermaster for its versatility. In this class
you will get to see a variety of different boats in action to help decide
what works best for you.