Conquer Cold Weather Trout // Podcast on the Yak
December 5, 2019
I got out on the river guiding yesterday and would love to share some tips on conquering cold weather trout. From layer to flies, indicators, and dry fly strategies for midge hatches, I cover many topics on this short Podcast recorded riverside on a balmy 35 degree day in December. For the best listening experience, follow our The MEND Podcast on Podbean.com and get the App for your phone.
Noteworthy Tackle for Cold Weather
- Simms G3 Bootfoot Waders
- New Zealand Strike Indicator Kit
- Scientific Anglers Absolute Fluorocarbon Tippet
- Duracell Jig Nymph
- Zebra Midge
Jackets for Layering in Cold Weather
- Simms Bulkley Jacket (has Primaloft and is the best outside shell for cold weather)
- Simms West Fork Jacket (fanstastic piece for warmth) Can be layered or worn as an outer.
- Simm OTC (over the Calf) Wading Sock - GREAT sock for cold water wading.
- Simms MidCurrent Hooded Jacket - Primaloft layer piece or outer in mild weather.
Pants for Layering in Cold Weather
- Simms Fjord Cold Weather Pants
- Simms Windbloc Cold Weather Ball Cap
- Simm MidLayer Fleece Bottom (wear as a baselayer in cold weather, wear solo in typicaly fishing conditions)