A Fresh Idea for Your Nymph Game
November 2, 2016
The fishing this past week has been much more productive on nymphs than streamers here on the Yakima River, and since most trout anglers across the country are likely getting in their last few trips I would like to introduce a fresh spin on an age old technique. Many anglers utilize a "double nymph rig" which incorporates the use of two flies rather than one. This gives the trout a couple of options to choose from, and it is an easy way to add some additional weight. Each fly helps the other fly sink. A team effort of sorts.
The video pretty much sums up the entire lesson, but I'll add a few highlights here and a link to purchase a few materials along with some hot flies.
Some Nymphing Tips for Fall
- Fall means low and clear water on most rivers
- Fall means that the fish have had a proper education all summer!
- These two things = smart trout
- Smart trout are more often caught on small flies
- 2 small flies are usually more productive than 1 small fly
- A leader setup that allows small flies to move naturally is crticial!
- Try #14 - #20 Nymphs right now